Wikipedia-integrated academic publishing
This session discusses how different scholarly publishers have interacted with Wikipedia to combine the rigour of academic peer review processes, with the extreme reach and impact of the encyclopedia.
Wikipedia is the largest open knowledge project in history. Several academic publishers now have Wikipedia-integrated formats:
- PLOS Genetics
- PLOS Computational Biology
- WikiJournal of Medicine
- WikiJournal of Science
- WikiJournal of Humanities
Wikipedia-integrated OA publishing allows several key advantages:
- Fee-free Open Access (diamond/platinum OA)
- Radically transparent versioning and history
- Integration with the most widely read information source
Articles that have been integrated into Wikipedia are often read >1 million times per annum, vastly increasing reach and impact across wide demographics. They are also frequently translated into multiple languages.